The NBI Clearance, as most of us know, is one of the primary requirements when applying for a job locally and abroad.
The National Bureau of Investigation started issuing the Multi-Purpose Clearance last year as part of the Philippine government’s efforts to simplify government services and to lessen the expense by Filipinos who apply for NBI Clearance.
Prior to this, people had to apply for separate NBI Clearances for different purposes like for local employment, overseas employment or travel abroad, to get a VISA, etc.
With the new Multi-Purpose NBI Clearance, people would only need to get one clearance for various purposes. It now bears the phrase “Issued for whatever legal purpose” instead of specific purpose.
How much and how long is the validity?
The Multi-Purpose NBI Clearance has a fixed price of P115 per copy and it is valid for one year.
According to Atty. Dante Gierran, NBI Director, “Kailangan ng i-simplify natin ang transaksyon sa gobyerno. Ito ang isa sa aming sagot dun sa gusto ng ating mahal na Pangulo.” (We need to simplify the transactions with the government and this is one of our answers to what our beloved President wants to happen.)
While many Filipinos are not yet aware of the new Multi-Purpose NBI Clearance, this will be beneficial to everyone because they don’t need to get different clearances for different purposes. Less hassle, less expense.
Those who have the old NBI clearance can still use it, but for only the specific purpose stated in the clearance and provided that it’s not yet expired.
For example, if it’s for local employment, you can use it to apply for a job here in the Philippines, but it cannot be used for travel abroad.
If you want to get the new Multi-Purpose NBI Clearance, you can renew your old NBI Clearance and pay P115 per copy.
What if there’s a HIT?
Another good thing about the new Multi-Purpose NBI Clearance is that it’s now easier to fix a “HIT” on the NBI Clearance.
If you apply for an NBI Clearance and there’s a “HIT” on your name, you just need to show up at the NBI to clarify the issue or case. There’s no additional fee for this.
During the interview, the NBI Officer will check if you have a pending case. If there’s a doubt, you may be advised to get a clearance from the court if you have a warrant.
Source: Roderick Mendoza of UNTV News and Rescue, DOJ Circular No. 017
What is an NBI Clearance?
An NBI Clearance is an important document that proves that you have no criminal cases filed against you in the Philippines. It is one of the requirements when applying for a local job, travel abroad, get VISA, get a gun license, and more.
How to Apply for NBI Clearance Online?
Applying for an NBI Clearance is now much easier and faster because it can be done online and you only need to show up at the NBI office/branch on your appointment date.
1. Visit the NBI Clearance Website.
- If you have already registered with the NBI Clearance Online before, enter your Email Address and Password to sign in.
- If this is your first time to register, fill out the form with the required information and click Sign up.
- Click YES if you have an Old NBI Clearance. Take note that this is applicable only on 2014-2016 NBI Clearances.
- Click NO if you don’t have an Old NBI Clearance.
2. Once signed in, fill out the NBI Clearance Application Form with all the required information. Double check your entries before you click “Apply for Clearance”. If you need to edit anything, just click “Edit Information”.
3. Click “Apply for Clearance” and enter a 6-digit PIN.
4. Indicate the ID that you will present on your appointment schedule. Click “I Agree” to the Terms and Conditions to proceed.
5. Choose your preferred NBI Branch, Appointment Schedule, and Payment Method.
- Bank over the counter
- Online Bank
- Mobile Payment
- Bayad Center
6. To know the instruction for the payment method that you’ve chosen, click “Transactions” and click “Payment Instruction”.
Once your payment is verified, the status of your application will be updated from Pending to Paid.
7. Under “Transactions”, click “Details” and print your application form. You will present this on your chosen Appointment Schedule when you get your NBI Clearance.
TIP: Make sure to save your login details and your PIN so that it would be easier for you to login next time you need to apply for another NBI Clearance.
NBI Clearance Application Process on the Appointment Date
1. Go to your chosen NBI Branch on the date of your appointment.
2. Bring your printed NBI clearance application form and the valid ID that you’ve chosen during your online application. You may also bring other valid IDs in case they ask for it.
3. Ask the Guard or the NBI Staff if you need to get a queue number to be accommodated. Wait for your number to be called/flashed on the screen.
4. Once called, be ready for your Biometrics and Picture taking. If everything is successful, then you can have your NBI Clearance within the day.
NBI Clearance Help Desk
For any inquiries about NBI Clearance application, you may contact the NBI Help Desk from 6AM to 6PM.
- Landline: (02) 526-1294
- Globe: 0917-9999421
- Smart: 0920-4129999 / 0999-5699964