Do you have concerns or complaints about your recruitment agency, employer, or co-workers? Or do you need some legal counseling?
Don’t worry! You can now contact the POEA Legal Assistance Division online.
The POEA or Philippine Overseas Employment Administration has a Legal Assistance Division (LAD) that provides free legal counseling services to Overseas Filipino Workers or OFWs, overseas work applicants and walk-in clients for their overseas employment concerns such as:
- recruitment violations
- disciplinary actions against the employer
- disciplinary actions against the worker
- illegal recruitment referral to conciliation
- legal counselling
- other inquiries
These services have been made more accessible because you can now submit your concerns online. It means that you just have to go to the Legal Assistance website using your computer or smartphone that is connected to the internet.
How to submit a case for legal counseling?
In the Legal Assistance page, choose Legal Counseling, then provide your personal information:
- First, Middle, and Last Name
- Contact Details – Contact Number and Email Address
- Education – choose Elementary, High School, Vocational or College
- Complete Address
Below your personal information is the Case Details (Detalye ng Pangyayari) where you can state the details of your case or concerns:
- Nature of Inquiry (Uri ng tanong?)
- Name of worker (Pangalan ng OFW)
- Country of deployment (Bansang Pinagtrabahuhan)
- Details of the Event (Detalye ng Pangyayari)
- Evidence (Ebidensya) – you can upload pictures or videos as evidence or to prove your case or concerns
After you review the details of your case, click or enter the captcha, and click submit. You will then be provided with a Reference Number for your case.
All the information you provided are safe and will be respected by the Legal Assistance Division and it will not be shared with anyone.
How to Check the Status of your Case?
In the same Legal Assistance page, click Check Status, then enter the Reference Number.
Under Validation, choose either Apelyido (Last Name) or Araw ng Kapanganakan (Date of Birth), then enter the answer.
Click or enter the Captcha and click Submit.
Legal Assistance FAQs
The Legal Assistance website has also compiled a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to overseas employment including the following topics:
- Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC)
- BalikManggagawa vs BalikBayan
- Illegal Recruitment
- Recruitment Agencies
- Recruitment Processes
- Legal Fees
- Job Order
How to Contact the Legal Assistance Division?
For any inquiries or additional information, you may visit the Legal Assistance Divison at Philippine Overseas Employment Administration, Legal Assistance Division, 4th Floor, BFO Building EDSA corner Ortigas Avenue, Mandaluyong City.
You may also contact them at Telephone No: (02) 722-1189 or send an email message to their email address at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do Legal Assistance Services cover?
- LEGAL ADVICE – to provide counseling services where repatriated workers are informed of their rights and possible options for redress of grievances
- CONCILIATION – to afford repatriated workers and their recruitment agencies a venue to discuss the possibility of amicable settlement
- PREPARATION AND FILING OF COMPLAINTS – for illegal recruitment, recruitment violation, and disciplinary action cases
- COUNSELING DURING PRELIMINARY INVESTIGATION AND HEARINGS – of criminal cases for illegal recruitment
How to avail of Legal Assistance Services?
Step 1 – Go to the Legal Assistance Division at 4th Floor POEA Central Office or at any POEA Regional Centers.
Step 2 – Respond to the initial interview by the Legal Officer as to what assistance is needed.
Step 3 – Evaluation and endorsement of the complaint to the appropriate unit:
- Conciliation Unit
- Adjudication Office
- Public Prosecutor/Fiscal
Step 4 – For repatriated OFWs staying at the OWWA Hostel, a lawyer from the POEA Legal Assistance Division will visit the Hostel to provide legal assistance.
Legal Assistance Center Offices
- Address: Legal Assistance Division, 4th Floor, BFO Building, EDSA corner Ortigas Avenue, Mandaluyong City
- Telephone Nos.: 09175540249 / 721-0619 09175501027 / 722-1189
- Email Address: email@example.com
Luzon Regional Center
- Address: 2nd Floor LZK-Zambrano Bldg, Quezon Ave. City of San Fernando, La Union
- Telefax: (072) 242-5608
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visayas Regional Center
- Address: Ground Floor, DOLE-RO 7, Building A, General Maxilom Ave. and Gorordo Ave. Cebu City
- Telephone Nos.: (032) 4120040 to 42
- Email Address: email@example.com
Mindanao Regional Center
- 2nd Floor Amya ll Building Quimpo Blvd. cor Tulip Drive, Ecoland Davao City
- Telephone Nos.: (082) 297-7428 / (082) 297-7650
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Seek Legal Assistance at the POEA LAC Office in NCR?
If you want to personally go to the POEA Legal Assistance Center to seek legal counseling, prepare your OFW Record and Verification Form. There is no fee for this. Just follow the procedures below:
Step 1 – Get a verification form from the Guard on Duty at the 4th Floor of the POEA Office and fill-up the form.Step 2 – Submit the completely
Step 2 – Submit the completely fille out form to Window 3, Licensing Branch (LB), 4th Floor, for verification of the status of agency/persons. Deployed workers must secure the OFW Information Sheet from the Central Records Division at the 6th Floor.
Step 3 – Submit duly verified form or OFW Information Sheet to the Legal Assistance Division (LAD) Legal Officer and wait for your name to be called.
Step 4 – When your name is called, proceed to the table of the designated Legal Officer for counseling or legal assistance in the preparation or filling-up of a complaint form.
Step 5 – Submit duly accomplished complaint form to the LAD Legal Officer and swear under oath as to the truthfulness of the facts contained in the complaint.
Step 6 – You may file the complaint at the Conciliation Unit on the 2nd Floor, if proper for conciliation or at the Docket and Enforcement Division on the 3rd Floor.
Source: POEA Legal Assistance
- Ultimate Guide for OWWA Membership and OWWA Benefits
- How to Login to SSS Online Successfully and View your SSS Contributions
- Balik Pinas! Balik Hanapbuhay! Livelihood Program